Click here to download a PDF copy of this guide with screenshots.
What to have ready:
Before you begin, ensure that you have the following items ready:
- Email username (your full email address) and password
- Server settings for your email – we’ve created a separate article here with these settings for your reference
Setting up Windows Live Mail 2009 and adding a new email account:
- Open Windows Live Mail
- On the bottom left, click on Add e-mail Account
- Enter your full email address
- Enter your email password. If this is a personal computer, we recommend checking off Remember Password so that you don’t need to sign in each time you open Windows Live Mail
- Enter your display name as you wish for it to appear in the “From” section when sending email
- Place a checkmark in Manually configure server settings for email account box
- Click Next
- Choose POP or IMAP for your server type
- Enter your incoming mail server information
- Enter your incoming server port
- Authenticate using Clear Text
- Your Login ID is your full email address, including the portion after the @ symbol. Ex. email@example.com
- Enter your outgoing mail server information
- Enter your outgoing server port. If required by the server settings for your email address, this is where you will select SSL. If not required, proceed to Step 14 after entering your outgoing server port
- Place a check mark in My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication
- Click on Next
- Check off Make this default email account
- Click on Finish
- We suggest you send yourself a test email to make sure your settings are working correctly. It may take a few minutes to appear.
Making changes to an existing email address:
- Open Windows Live Mail
- Click Tools, and then click on Account.
- Highlight the email you wish to make changes to, then click to select it
- Click on Properties
- Click on the Servers tab
- Verify your account type is set to your choice of either POP or IMAP
- Verify or change your incoming mail server information
- Verify or change your outgoing mail server information
- Verify your username is your full email address, including the portion after the @ symbol. Ex. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Re-enter your email password to ensure it is typed correctly
- Ensure you are logging on using Clear Text authentication
- Ensure there is a checkmark in My server requires authentication
- Click on the Advanced tab
- Verify or change your incoming server port
- Verify or change your outgoing server port.
- If required by the server settings for your email address, choose SSL. If not, ignore this step and proceed to Step 18
- Click on Apply, then click on OK, then click on Close
We suggest you send yourself a test email to make sure your settings are working correctly. It may take a few minutes to appear.
What you’ll find here
Learn how to set up your Xplornet email address with Windows Live Mail 2009 device.