This article details how to set up Outlook 2016 on a Mac with your Xplornet email address.
Click here to download a PDF copy of this guide with screenshots
What to have ready:
Before you begin, ensure that you have the following items ready:
- Email username (your full email address) and password
- Server settings for your email – we’ve created a separate article here with these settings for your reference
Add a new email account
- Open the Outlook app by clicking the Microsoft Outlook icon from the Launchpad.
- If Outlook doesn’t take you to the “Set Up Your Email” screen, click on Tools, then Accounts…
- Click Add Email Account, or click the + in the bottom left and select New Account…
- Enter your full email address
- Click Continue
- Leave the Type as IMAP (POP is an option but is not recommended)
- Verify that the Username is your full email address
- Enter your email Password
- Verify that the Incoming Server is either imap.xplornet.com, or imap.xplornet.ca (if your email address ends in @xplornet.ca, @talkwireless.ca, @ciaccess.com or @southkent.net) – see the settings page
- Verify that the Incoming Server Port is 993
- Verify that the box next to “Use SSL to connect” is checked for both the Incoming Server and the Outgoing Server
- Verify that the Outgoing Server is either smtp.xplornet.com, or smtp.xplornet.ca (if your email address ends in @xplornet.ca, @talkwireless.ca, @ciaccess.com or @southkent.net) – see the settings page
- Change the Outgoing Server Port to 465
- Click Done
- In Accounts, edit your Full Name (if necessary) and click Advanced…
- Go to the Server tab and verify the Sent, Drafts, Junk and Trash folders selected are as below (Sent Items, Drafts, Spam and Trash) and from the Server (not “On My Computer”)
- Click OK, then close Accounts
Changing your Email Password
If you changed your email password in webmail, you will need to change it in Outlook to match the new password.
Outlook should prompt you for your new password.
Enter your new Password, check the box of “Remember this password in my keychain” (unless you wish to enter it every time) and click OK
If Outlook doesn’t prompt you for your new password, follow these steps:
- click on Tools, then Accounts…
- Select your email
- Enter your new Password and close Accounts