Our goal is to ensure that each Xplornet customer receives fair and consistent access to the Internet. A small percentage of customers are responsible for a disproportionate share of data usage on our network. To minimize the impact that heavier users might have on the experience of other Xplornet customers, we have implemented a Fair Access Policy. Our intent with this policy is to affect the fewest customers while helping maintain the best speeds for the majority of customers.
What is the Fair Access Policy?
The Fair Access Policy is a series of rules that govern how data traffic flows through our network. There is a set of rules specific to each of our access platforms:
- Fixed Wireless – Canopy
- Fixed Wireless – Enhanced
- Fixed Wireless – 4G and LTE
- Telesat Ka (KaT) Satellite
- Telesat Ka2 (Ka2) Satellite
- HughesNet Ka (KaH) Satellite
- 4G Satellite – High Throughput ViaSat (HTV) and High Throughput Jupiter (HTJ)
- For former Hummingbird Wireless Customers
- For former Figment Wireless Customers
Within each platform, the rules differ by the specific package a customer purchases. Across our different platforms, our traffic management approaches include things like:
- Setting hourly, daily, or monthly usage allowances. When the a customer exceeds one of the allowances on their package, their service goes into “Recovery Mode” for a period of time, during which their maximum speed is reduced. For details of how this works on each of our platforms, please click on the relevant link above.
- Charging for usage beyond a specified usage allowance.
- Subjecting traffic related to applications that are considered non time-sensitive (such as peer-to-peer file sharing, newsgroups, and online data storage) to reduced transfer speeds during peak hours.For details of how this works on each of our platforms, please click on the relevant link above.
- Dynamic congestion policies, which respond to congestion in a part of the network by identifying the top 10% of users in that part of the network who are consuming the most bandwidth and reducing their speeds to approximately half their maximum speed for a period of 15 minutes. At the end of 15 minutes, if congestion in that part of the network continues to be an issue, the system will once again calculate which users have been consuming the most bandwidth in the prior 15 minutes, and implement the speed restriction on that newly-calculated set of users.
For the purpose of network security or to address unpredictable traffic events (e.g. traffic surges due to global events and failures on part of an ISP’s network), we reserve the right to temporarily employ additional traffic management policies in order to protect network integrity.
Current Xplornet customers can view the details of the specific policies that apply to their platform and package by using MyXplornet.
Further details about our Fair Access Policy are openly available, through your local dealer or by calling us at 1-866-841-6001.